Thursday, January 21, 2010

Frank's News

After being here for over 2 weeks, I can tell that the students and teachers are getting more comfortable with each other. I know that because in the last two days, our mealtime conversations have shifted from the differences between our home cultures to making fun of them. During lunch we had a nice debate about the right to bear arms. That's always a fun one with the Europeans. I am really enjoying getting to know the other students, and it's interesting to hear their viewpoints.

The nationals sell produce at one of the villages nearby. There is always a good number of people there selling things, hanging out, or gambling with cards. When we arrive in this village, I always scope out people who may want to talk. It's hard to talk to the gamblers because they're busy. The other men will look at me but have a very straight face that seems unfriendly. However, if I smile at them or speak to them, they smile back and are very happy to talk.


Selling produce along the road

As I walked in, I saw a man by himself. We greeted him but he didn't seem very responsive, so I moved on to some people who were sitting together. After listening to them talk to our leader in pidgin, I looked back at the man and he was still alone. I went over and asked if I could sit down beside him, and he kindly obliged. His name is Sula and he was watching over some produce that he was selling. It turned out that he spoke English which made the subsequent conversation much more interesting. We shared names and small-talk. He corrected my pidgin and taught me new words and grammar. I asked him why he wasn't gambling with the others. He said that he has been trying to stop gambling and also smoking since the beginning of the year. He offered to sell me a banana, but unfortunately I didn't have any money on me. I would have gladly bought it if I did. Then a national lady came over and put some money down and picked up a banana. He grabbed two, kept one for himself, and handed one to me. I told him that I didn't want to take it because I couldn't pay for it, but he explained that the lady bought it. It felt a little strange to accept the gift, but I couldn't refuse. The conversation then turned to the quality of the produce here. The bananas, pineapple, tomatoes are amazing here. Someone once picked off a tree tomato, cut it and handed it to me to eat. I had never heard of a tree tomato before, but it was excellent. The produce here is quite something, and it's no surprise because of all of the rain, and the jet black soil. My time with Sula was probably the best with the nationals here. I hope that he will be impacted by the NTM missionary who is here with them.

The following verse was pointed out to us in the training, and I thought it was fitting for our experience here: "...the living God, who made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all things that are in them, who in bygone generations allowed all nations to walk in their own ways. Nevertheless He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good, gave us rain from heaven and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness." Acts 14:15b - 17


Frank, spending time with men in the village


Emily, spending time with women in the village

1 comment:

Chad and Julie said...

Frank,

This is Chad Reeser. You met my wife Julie and me at EWO right before you left. It has been our pleasure to pray for you and stop in your blog from time to time.

Praise God for your willingness to jump into conversations with boldness.

Blessings,